Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Graduate

This is a bit delayed... by a full week. I blame it on the massive, nasty cold I have gotten. Well, correction. After going two weeks with no voice, a sore throat, runny nose, and cough with no improvement I finally went to the doctor and discovered I have a sinus infection and dual ear infections. I left the pharmacy with a bag full of goodies. Thus far I'm still not feeling great, but hoping the antibiotics start to work their magic soon.

Josh graduated from his training last Thursday. I, luckily, had the day off and was able to go and support him. I didn't realize (until Josh told me) what an event his graduation would be. It was a semi-formal dinner complete with a cocktail hour, dinner, and guest speaker. Not what I thought of when I heard the word "graduation." Since I had the day off, I had (originally) thought it would be a great idea to make an appointment to get a manicure and pedicure in the afternoon before graduation as a way to pamper myself prior to shoving myself into a dress (I uh... hate dressing up. I do it well, but I don't love it). And it was a good idea in theory... but in the day of graduation my cold (now infections) was in full swing. I woke up feeling horrible. I spent the majority of the time at my nail appointment wishing it was socially acceptable to blow my nose like there was no tomorrow. I also spent a lot of the appointment dreaming of taking a nap. I did get to take a short nap after my nail appointments and before we got ready... but it really wasn't enough. I still felt pretty crummy and wasn't looking forward to going anywhere.

We arrived at graduation to enjoy cocktail hour. Enjoy really isn't the word I should pick as I really wasn't enjoying myself. I ran off to the bathroom about every ten minutes to blow my nose. I also had a wonderful cocktail of water, which is fine as it allowed Josh to enjoy a beer. We wandered around and chatted with Josh's classmates. I did get to meet a few wives and attempted to chat with them... but it was unsuccessful. I'm starting to wonder about my success at military functions... although my mom pointed out that maybe the other wives are just very shy and nervous and unlike me they aren't able to channel that nervousness into something productive. Maybe. Or maybe they are all just bitchy. I'm still deciding.

The highlight of the evening was that Josh's supervisor came down for graduation and I was sitting next to him at dinner. He has an excellent dry sense of humor, and he made dinner entertaining for me. I spent most of the dinner and the speeches which followed dinner in the same state I was in at my nail appointment - wishing it was socially acceptable to blow my nose loudly and frequently... and instead had to settle for frequently sniffing and dabbing my nose with a napkin to keep snot from running down my face (graphic, yet true). I'm bummed out because really this could have been a fun evening had I not felt like death. And it's an evening which I won't get a chance to do over. Oh well, I suppose. We'll hope for another event down the road.

In Josh's career field he rarely has to wear his dress uniform - it would be covered in oil, grease, and hydraulic fluid if he wore it. I had promised my mom I would take pictures of him at graduation in his dress blues. Originally I planned to get pictures of the two of us together as I was wearing a dress (something which only happens about once a year.. last year it happened twice since I got married and had a separate reception. A record, perhaps) and would be "done up" ... however my nose was red, my eyes were bloodshot... and I just figured I would pass on having photographic evidence of myself on that evening. But. Here are some pictures of Josh (for you mom). In one picture the lighting is a little too bright, but it's the only picture where he's smiling.

Smiling because he's happy to be done


TSgt Lehman and MSgt Naglack

Even though this is a little late... Congratulations on graduating from Non-Commissioned Officers Academy Josh. I know it took hard work and you put in a lot of extra time. You also had to do things outside of your comfort zone. I'm proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment