Sunday, September 9, 2012

Planning for "The Guest"

Continuing in my trend of being lazy and procrastinating... I am spending my Sunday afternoon battling a cold and trying to plan my mom's November visit.

I have discovered, through a friend who had enjoyed a few drinks and loosened her lips, that my "guest" is female. This blows my first prediction of my brother out of the water. At least this answers a few questions and dismisses a few worries I had (such as can "the guest" share a bed with my mom?). A few things have changed... first, when I thought it was my brother coming, when I was thinking of things for us to do, I wasn't too worried about what Kyle would want (uh, sorry Kyle). I just figured we'd go do it and if he didn't like it... tough. I also was originally thinking when my mom came out that it could be much more laid back with less travel and more hanging out. But... I want to go do things and see stuff. I'm taking time off of work... I want to use it. So forget laid back. I want to plan things out. The trouble I am having is I have no idea what "the guest" will want to do/see. I am concerned about making sure my guests get to see and do what they want. I'm worried about this when Josh's dad and step mom come out later this month. They didn't give me a lot of input when I was trying to plan their trip, and so I just kind of... did my thing. I hope they like what I've planned out and it fulfills their expectations... because I would hate for them to be disappointed. I'm having the same concerns about November.

My first thought was to plan a trip to where my great-grandfather is from - a small town on the North Sea called Holtgast. I assumed whoever "the guest" is will be a family member, and so I assume the family member will be interested to chasing roots to where our family came from. I think going to Holtgast sounds interesting... but aside from "seeing" it, there really isn't much around. It is a small town, and it will be winter on the North Sea. My mom has asked me if there are things to see/do around/near Holtgast or that we can do/see on the way there. Which... yes seeing our past is important, but I don't want it to be boring. My mom and "the guest" arrive the day before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving will be busy (and I'm already assuming I'm going to have quite a few guests to feed). I was thinking that weekend we would go to some area Christmas markets and perhaps show "the guest" some local sites. I wanted to add more to this trip..

So. I have spent my afternoon looking around to see what I could find to do. The answers are limitless. I've found great (emphasize the word great) deals for us to go to Ireland (Dublin), or to Edinburgh, Scotland, or to London or to various spots in Italy, or Barcelona, Spain, or Vienna, Austria, or Copenhagen, Denmark... There is also a fast train which we can take into Paris. There are also lots of destinations we can drive to (all over Germany, into Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland)... or places I have been but am more than happy to make a return trip to like Brussels. I want to go do things. My newest plan is to ask my mom to talk with "the guest" to find out if there is something they really want to do/see in Europe. Or... to list off my suggestions and see what sounds interesting to them. Or better yet... dear "guest" who is some sort of family member of mine, what do you want to do? Please pass the word along. Us doing things isn't optional. So give me some input. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment