Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Planning for the In-Laws

Josh's dad and step-mom arrive Saturday morning and will be here for about 9 days. Although he doesn't say it, I think Josh is excited for his dad to get here. This will be their first time in Germany and in Europe. I had asked them what they wanted to do, stating I would help plan out anything. There was only two things which I was told: Oktoberfest and Dachau. That's it. I prodded (many times) to see what else they may be interested in. Castles? The Alps? They kept sayings "Oh... we don't know... we know you'll find something great!" Um. Alright. Leaving it up to me... again. I just want to make sure people enjoy themselves and get to do what they want to do.

So... partially for convenience and partially because it was a great trip, we are going to some-what follow the same path my parents and I did. We'll be staying in southern Bavaria and doing day trips out from there. The day trips will be similar to the ones I did with my parents - Neuschwanstein Castle, Zugspitze, the Eagles Nest (which will hopefully be open since it wasn't when my parents were there), Dachau, Munich... and then finally Oktoberfest.

 I'm going to be honest here. My desire to go to Oktoberfest is nonexistent. On a scale of 1 to 10, my desire to go is at about a -5. The reaction I get when I tell people this is either one of complete understanding, or one of shock (as in *gasp* you live in Germany how could you NOT want to go to Oktoberfest wow that sounds awesome I really want to go). So let me explain. I like to drink. I like beer. We've been to some German festivals, and I see how it is or how it works. Lots of food, beer and wine, fair rides and games. Got it. Oktoberfest is this on a bigger scale with a lot of tradition. It's the bigger scale part I'm not real sure of. I am not a fan of crowds, especially huge crowds where you are crammed into a space and it is difficult to move. I also do not enjoy being in a crowd of obnoxious drunks (Griz football games are exempt from this generalization). I have heard from many people (coworkers, patients, friends) who went to Oktoberfest that this is pretty much what it is like... very crowded, tons of people, hard to move, lots of drunks. A coworker went so far as to describe the level of crowding saying she couldn't really move her arms as she was smooshed between so many people, and it took her over an hour just to get from a tent to the bathrooms. I've also heard the tales of drunks passed out on the ground, in the parks surrounding Oktoberfest, people throwing up... basically a mess. As I said, I've had people understand my lack of desire... and they understand because they share their own tale of Oktoberfest (which is generally one of disappointment, annoyance, or disgust). I also just generally don't understand why you would drink liters upon liters of beer and then go on a fair ride. I can't hold my cookies when sober... let alone after beer.

Anyways, my lack of enthusiasm is due to the fact that I'm afraid Oktoberfest is really just going to be a crowded mess. But. That is what my in-laws want to do, so we are going. I did some research... and we are going to go on a Tuesday in the morning. Quick explanation - to drink you must sit at a table in a beer tent. To sit at a table there either must be an opening or you must have a reservation. To make a reservation you must have 6 people. We only have 4, so we can't make a reservation, we'll just have to wait for an open spot. So. When looking online I saw most of the tents still had reservation spots open on Tuesday afternoon. It is also during the week and not a Saturday... so I figured it would be less busy during the week in the afternoon. This could cut down on the crowds/drunks and could possibly make it more enjoyable for me. I also am thinking if I have no expectations, or bad expectations, that if it is anything above horrible I will be pleased. In reality it is something that should be on my Europe bucket list. I can say I've gone, I've been there, done it. So. Good. Let's get it over with.

I'm done being a negative Nancy now. I am excited to spend some time with the in-laws - they are great people and I'm sure we'll have lots of fun. I'm also excited for Josh to finally get to see the things I did with my parents. I think he will enjoy it as well. And... well, who isn't excited about taking a trip and not working? Even if it is something I've seen/done before, I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment