Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Gaga-riffic

Last night I went with two girlfriends to see Lady Gaga in Koln. It. Was. Amazing.

My girlfriends and I decided it would be a great idea to dress up in costume for the show. I have seen pictures  of friends who have gone to Lady Gaga, and they all have dressed up. I don't think the Germans got that notice... we were one of the few who were dressed up... and those who did see us definitely weren't sure what they thought.


Yes, I am wearing two bras outside of my shirt. And a flamingo hat.

I had seen advertised that Lady Gaga was doing a European tour. I really didn't think much about it, assuming I wouldn't go. I was invited by a girlfriend who bought tickets through base. I wasn't sure what to expect. What I will say is this: I did not see a concert so much as an all out production of epic proportions.

The stage was a castle. Seriously, a castle. The castle had all different layers/levels with open areas for Gaga to sing/dance on, and was fully lighted. The castle would open up/expand similar to how a child's toy would. This would show more "internal" areas of the castle. When the show started, the castle glowed purple and the castle gates opened out. Lady Gaga came out (all in black) being led on a real live horse.

 
She sang for over 2.5 hours, and had a costume change for every single song. She also had some sort of interesting prop for every song. For example for one song she came out on a motorcycle, and after the song she chatted with the audience. As she was doing that, a stagehand turned the motorcycle into a piano. She then climbed back on the motorcycle and played on the piano and sang. She sounds amazing live, and really does have a voice. The concert (for the gals and me) was a huge dance party. At once point in time I put my camera in my bras (for storage) and then jumped around so much it flew out and we had to find it. We danced (and sweated) our hearts out. However, there were times during the show when I would just sit back and stare in awe. It was, hands down, one of the best concerts I have ever been do.

 Everyone has an opinion of Lady Gaga. I, like most, hear her songs on the radio and dance around/enjoy them. And yes, I think she is quite weird.
However.
A few months ago I discovered a great show called "Oprah's Next Chapter," which is exactly what you would think it is - Oprah's next step in her life after finishing her talk show. She interviews people in-depth - and she has an interesting list of people she has spoken to. I watched her interview with Lady Gaga - more out of curiosity than anything else. I didn't know much about Lady Gaga and was interested to see what she had to say. What I was surprised to find is she is articulate, intelligent, and has a lot of things to say. One thing she spoke about was how she is using her fame and popularity to help reduce bullying in schools and promote self-love. I was beyond surprised to discover this about her, and found a new respect for her as an artist. It definitely helped me to see past her "weirdness" and into something more.

The things which were said in the interview shown through during her performances. When she spoke with the audience you could hear her sincerity and it seems as if she really does appreciate and care about her fans. She also really does want to help create a "change" so to speak. Maybe that is the platform of all stars. However, I think my opinion has forevermore changed. I am a Lady Gaga fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment