Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Congrats to the future Mrs. Roberts

I have known my best friend Jen since I was three years old. She lived down the street from me growing up, and we've always kept in touch. In her speech at my wedding, Jen said something to the effect that she knew I was in love with Josh before I even realized it because when you're best friends you know one another that well. I feel privileged to say the same for her.

Let's rewind for a moment back to New Year's Eve 2010 - almost 2011. Jen and I had plans to go out and meet friends for a late dinner. One of our friends happened to mention to Jen that there was a guy she wanted Jen to meet. Being the smart girl she is, Jen looked this guy up on Facebook. Instantly she decided she wouldn't like him as he listed his political affiliation to be Republican. I told her to calm down, don't judge him yet, and just see where the night took us. At dinner "the guy" named Sean sat next to Jen and was trying to make conversation with her. I thought he seemed nice. As the night went on we found ourselves at a friend's house playing games. Sean, it turned out, may have been Republican (though he never said anything about it - it's just something that will always stick in my mind as that was such a turn off for Jen at the time), but he also had a good job working for a bank, had his head on straight, and a plan for his life. Something all of Jen's previous boyfriends had lacked. He seemed genuinely interested in Jen and was trying his best to flirt with her. Jen was trying her best to avoid him. I kept trying to take her aside and say, "Hey. Give him a chance." Sean did get a New Year's kiss from Jen. The next morning Sean was trying to make plans to see Jen again, and Jen was seriously questioning herself. I, however, saw how wonderful Sean could be for her. So, in true best friend fashion, I told her to stop being a snot, see him for the wonderful things he could be, and give him a chance. She did. And on Sunday, Sean asked Jen to marry him.

Jen once said to me, "Sean is everything I never realized I wanted or needed." To my dear friend, I am so happy you have found such a wonderful man to share your life with. I knew he was right for you from the beginning. I'm glad you discovered that as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment