Monday, December 5, 2011

'Tis the Season

I will confess, I love Christmas. I am one of "those people" who is excited about all parts of Christmas. I like decorating (my Christmas tree usually goes up the day after Thanksgiving). I like shopping for people I love and picking out a present I hope they will enjoy. I like wrapping presents (although I am horrible at it and the presents I wrap end up looking a bit off-kilter). I love doing seasonal Christmas baking. And... one of the things I love most of all... is Christmas music. I know there are plenty of people out there who despise Christmas music. In fact, I'm sure I am in the great minority by liking Christmas music. Most years I "secretly" start listening to Christmas music sometime around the beginning of November. Yes, I love Christmas. So does Germany.

The Germans seem to think along the same lines as me, because they started to decorate right around Thanksgiving time. Each town has a huge Christmas tree up that is decorated (some trees only have lights, others have more decorations). There are also lots of lights, garlands, and wreaths hung around the towns. It feels very festive. Christmas season in Germany also brings Christmas markets. Most towns seem to have a Christmas market, and in the bigger cities the market will last for most of December. I have been excited about going to some Christmas markets to see what they are all about.

Saturday we went to the Christmas market in Trier, which is about a half hour away from us. Trier's market runs from before Thanksgiving until Christmas. In the middle of the walkplatz (pedestrian zone full of shops along cobblestone walkways) was the market. The vendor booths were decorated with garland, lights, and in some cases some interesting other decorations like fake deer, goats, or Santa. We weren't there to do any serious shopping (all of our Christmas presents have been bought and shipped), but mainly wanted to enjoy the atmosphere. What a wonderful, festive, fun atmosphere to absorb! Even though it was cold, windy, and raining we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was surprised when I realized we'd been walking around the market for close to two hours. One of the things which all Christmas markets have is gluwein, which is a hot spiced wine. It is delicious! It also is served in a cute little souvenir mug which is unique to each Christmas market and it changes each year.
Cup of Gluwein

Views of the Christmas market

On Sunday we were invited to meet up with my friend Melissa in Koln. Koln has a total of seven different Christmas markets, three of which are right around the cathedral. Koln is a bit of a drive - two hours - but it was worth the drive. Most of what is sold at Christmas markets is universal - wooden Christmas decorations/ornaments, nutcrackers, meat/cheese/food, wine, gluwein, wool socks/hats/mittens/scarves, wooden toys, ect. As I said, we weren't really there to actually shop, more just to enjoy ourselves. We had a wonderful afternoon wandering around the markets, although they were much more crowded than the market in Trier.


Who needs words? 

Our Christmas season is just winding up, and I'm excited about it. Such a beautiful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment