Sunday, October 27, 2013

Planning the Parents Trip - Part Two

I had started to share the details of my parent's upcoming trip in an earlier post. Now it is less than a month until they arrive, and I realized earlier this week I needed to hurry up and finish getting their trip planned - especially anything which needed a reservation. Prior to leaving on our cruise, I had made the executive decision that after our few days in Berlin we were going to go to Dresden. Similar to Berlin, I had found a good hotel deal which made it hard to pass up. I debated staying in Dresden one day, or going for two. Rick Steves (my constant "advisor" of European travel) says Dresden can be done in one day. However, when I thought about travel time to the city in addition to the things I wanted to see and do, I decided to plan to have two days in Dresden. I've heard the Christmas markets in Dresden are beautiful and plentiful, so I didn't want to rush through that either, he he. This would occupy about a week of my parent's trip, but there was still a few days to fill. I suggested many different ideas of things we could do and was leaving it up to my parents to decide.

Then I got an email from Edelweiss. We have stayed at Edelweiss both with my parents and with Josh's. It is a beautiful resort in Bavaria, and we've always enjoyed our time there. The email I received was talking about winter sport specials and was highlighting skiing in Bavaria. Josh and I both grew up skiing, but haven't been in many years. We've talked about going skiing while we are over here - to fulfill every skier's dream of being able to say they have skied the Alps. I threw the idea out there for my parents. My dad still skis, but my mom gave it up a few  years ago after multiple knee injuries. I suggested that Josh and Dad could ski while mom and I did Christmas markets in the area. They thought this sounded like a fun idea. I had told them to think on it, then tell me what they wanted to do. But... then my mom got sick and we left on vacation. I never officially got an answer until earlier this week. So, I made reservations for four days for us at Edelweiss. This should (hopefully) give the boys two days of skiing if the weather/snow cooperates. I am hoping it will for them. There is always a lot of things to do if the snow/skiing doesn't pan out. But, Dad can check skiing the Alps off his list, and we can have fun as well.

After Edelweiss we will come back to our house to re-group and let Josh get ready for going back to work. There will be a few days where we can be lazy around the house, or we can choose to go to some local area sites or Christmas markets depending on how everyone is feeling and what we want to do.

I'm excited for them to get here and have some fun! I'm also feeling better now that I've got everything (mostly) planned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment