Sunday, June 30, 2013

Passing the Time Daydreaming

Completing a six day work week this past week proved to me that I am, at my core, lazy and weak. Josh works a five day work week every week (well, so do most people). But with his job he is always on the go, he is on his feet, he is physically working hard. Every day. It's not that I don't work hard. But I'm not there five days a week. Jumping up to six days was a lot. I know people work schedules like this all the time. Clearly, they are stronger and more motivated than I am.

To help get myself through this past week, I focused on the future when I wouldn't be working so much - specifically upcoming trips. At the moment the only upcoming trip I have planned is to go back to the states in August for my best friend's wedding. My calendar is open. Last year I was brainstorming and had made a list of places I wanted to go see. We made it to two of the four places on my list. I blame Josh's kidney stones and his training for keeping us from the rest of the list. My brainstorming and day dreaming on my drives to and from work have lead me to create another list. This one is bigger... so we may not get to many of them this summer. But, it is out there for the future.

I want to go to:
Strasbourg, France
Colmar, France 
Bamberg, Germany
Wurzburg, Germany (I went here for my dental conference. Loved what I saw, but I didn't get to do much around the city itself. This was also on my list last year)
Heidelberg, Germany (this is about two hours away - a big military town... I kind of feel a bit silly since we've lived here this long and haven't been there yet)
Munster, Germany (on my list last year, and we never made it)

I still want to go up to northern Germany to the small down where my great-grandpa was from. Part of me wants to wait to do that with my mom, however she keeps coming to visit during the winter when the weather is crappy... and part of me wants to go see this area when the weather is decent. But that trip remains on my list.

I also have recently found some great hotel deals... and knowing I found a cheap place to stay makes me want to go somewhere. Ha. I have wanted to go back to Paris since I loved it before... and I've found a great hotel/price to do it. It is just a matter of finding a time when we can go.

The other thing I'm currently obsessed with is searching for cruises. When we first got married and knew we were moving to Germany, I told Josh I wanted to go on a Mediterranean cruise as our "honeymoon." Fast forward two and half years, and we're still just talking about it. The real reason we haven't done a cruise was when we first got here there wasn't much opportunity for Josh to take time off, and we've filled our time with other trips. Recently five of my co-workers have gone on cruises. Five. Which has put cruises on my brain in a big way. A patient told me about a website she has used to find incredible deals on cruises. I started searching it, which lead me to researching more about cruises in general... which led me to finding not one, but two cruises for Josh and I. We are seriously considering doing both of them. Excessive? Sure. Do I care? Nope.

The first cruise is in October and it is a Greek island tour. The cruise starts and ends in Venice, and does many of the highlights of Greece. I never would have thought about going to Greece - honestly it hasn't been high on my places to go. No real reason why... there are just other things I want to see more. But. Josh likes Greek mythology, and he wants to go to Greece. A cruise is an easy way to see all of it. Plus, now that I've researched things and seen images of Greece, I want to go. The second cruise is in February and would be over our anniversary. It starts and ends in Barcelona with a stop in Casablanca, Morocco, and then stops in the Canary Islands. Yup. Pretty sure we're going to sign up for both of those as long as Josh can get the time off.

Again, this seems like a lot, even to me. But the six day work week I just endured makes me not care... and makes me want to go on vacation even more. 

1 comment:

  1. we also went on a cruise for our honeymoon.....and LOVED IT!!!!!! for the exact same reasons above! vacationstogo is a great website as well that does discount cruises and my parents used it...so i know it isn't a scam! have a blast!

    ReplyDelete