Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Zwei katzen, ja?

(Two cats, yes?) was the statement I heard while making kittie appointments over the phone and when I showed up at the vet's office.

It started a few years ago. I had, like a responsible adult, taken my kitties in for their yearly check-up and shots. Up to this point taking the cats to the vet was not a big deal. It was more stressful to pay the vet bill than it was to actually have the cats checked out. That is, until Vega's allergy became apparent.

About two days after her trip to the vet, Vega started to vomit uncontrollably. As in, she puked time and time again, crying pathetically in between each bought of nausea. I counted at one point, and she puked ten times in one minute. Needless to say I rushed her off to the emergency clinic (as it was a Saturday afternoon) to be told they weren't sure why she was sick, but gave some medicine to help - which it did help and she soon returned to normal. I never connected her being sick with the vet as it was two days later... and well, she'd never been sick before. The next year the same thing happened, only Vega became MORE sick (and as it turns out she had the mother of all hairballs in her stomach), yet again, I didn't connect her being sick with the vet. Last year the cats had to get multiple shots (for moving) and, as chance would have it, they were not able to get all of their shots on the same day. Like clockwork, two days after her shots Vega started to vomit everywhere. Finally the light bulb went off. Hello. The vet... her shots. At first the vet didn't really see the connection I did until I explained to her that this had happened multiple years in a row. Yes, the reaction was delayed (about two days), but it was there. Ta-dah. So for the next round of shots, the vet had a plan for us. We gave Vega her vaccine with a shot a Benadryl. She still got sick. SO. For her final round of shots we gave her the vaccine with a shot of Benadryl AND a steroid shot. This finally seemed to be the combination she needed. Apparently to give an animal a vaccine and steroids is generally a no-no, but the vet told me to explain to future vets Vega's history.

I have said many times... the #1 most stressful part of moving for me was the cats. Not getting my household goods packed/shipped, not quitting my job, not getting my house rented... it was the cats. Would the cats do okay on the plane? Would they make it to Germany okay, safe, alive? That was honestly my biggest fear that somehow, for some reason, one of the cats would die on the plane. You can laugh, I realize that is a somewhat silly fear. But it was a fear I had, and it was strong. Luckily we made it here in one peace, safe, and healthy. My newest stress has been the day the cats needed their shots. Would I find a vet that spoke English? Would they understand what Vega needed? Would I be faced to deal with her allergy again? Would she get sick?

I got to face all those fears this morning. It was time to get the cats their shots and yearly checkup. Luckily they only needed one shot, and they are always perfectly healthy. A bit on the heavy side, but healthy. I had made an appointment with a vet whom was recommended to me by a few people. I was told she was a good vet who spoke English. Sold. I have to say this morning I was a nervous wreck - yes, laugh if you want. I was really nervous about this appointment. For some reason I keep thinking it is a good idea to have an occasional cup of coffee. I'm still sticking to my no caffeine, as in I don't drink it every day, and when I do have some it is a small amount. But about twice a week I feel the need to have a single cup of coffee (more for the taste of it than for the caffeine). This morning I made a cup of coffee, and by the time I got dressed I was a freaking mess... my hands were shaky, my stomach was doing flip flops, and I just felt jittery. The coffee did nothing for my anxiety about the cats' appointment, in fact it made it worse. I felt like a complete bundle of nerves and I kept thinking "Please, please God. Please let this vet understand the situation." Yes, all of this anxiety and worry over one cat. I realize... a little silly for some. For me it is natural to worry so much about my animals. You have children, I have cats. Deal with it.

As luck would have it, the vet did understand the situation. The vet was as kind as everyone told me she would be, and she did speak English. She seemed a bit surprised that Vega would need three shots (the vaccine, Benadryl, steroid) but she did it without any questions. The vet also created a little vaccine booklet for each cat to make it easier to keep track of everything when it does come time for us to leave Germany and head back to the states. The price to have the two cats checked over and four shots (Pucky only needed the one, he's not as special as Vega) was only 52 Euro. I can't complain.

The cats had their usual "melody" (as I call it) as they "sang" to me in their sad kittie cries on the way to and from the vet. They are happy to be home, but my anxiety isn't completely gone. Now begins the waiting game to see if Vega does okay. Only time will tell. However, her brother will not leave her alone and keeps following her around the house. She did get some Benadryl and this usually makes her a little sleepy, so I'm wondering if he can sense her not feeling "normal." Either way, there will be two uh, people, watching vigilantly over Vega for the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Aww... Poor Vega :( I know exactly how you feel! Monster did much better on the plane this time around, like she knew it was the only way to get back to the U.S. :) your cats seem to also be very resilient!

    ReplyDelete