Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pneumonia and How I Ruined Thanksgiving

What I had planned as a final part of Josh's birthday weekend was for us to spend the morning at the Gent flea market. Instead, he took me straight home. After our delightful evening in Gent, I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever and terrible body aches. I felt awful - easily the worst I have felt in a very, very long time. I spent most of the night tossing and turning. In the morning Josh went downstairs to get breakfast (I wanted to do nothing, except possibly die). He managed to get me into the bathtub (where I sat and shivered) for a bit before I begged him to take me home. So our plans for the day were scrapped and we went home. It as an extremely long drove for me as all I wanted was to get home and get into bed. I'm pretty sure more than once I asked Josh to shoot me.

I called sick into work thinking I had... something. I had a 103 fever and felt like crap. Not only was I not up for working, I should not be around anyone. The first day I stayed in bed, and when Josh got home I was a hot mess in fever delirium. He wanted to take me to the hospital, but I convinced him to just let me be for the evening. I thought we should call a Mom to give us some fever reducing advice (because at this point I had consistently taken Tylenol, but had no relief). I didn't want to call my mom because I knew she would panic. I suggested we call Josh's mom instead. She had some helpful advice to lower my fever... but she also had some Mom panic as she called us back five times in one hour to check on me.

The next day Josh made an appointment for me with the doctor, and took me to my appointment. This should tell you how sick I was, as I never ask Josh to help me with anything, especially not trivial things I can handle myself like medical appointments. So, on his actual birthday, Josh took me to the doctor. A throat culture, nasal swab, and a chest x-ray later I was diagnosed with pneumonia and given a giant bag full of medications to take home. At least I had a reason for being so sick. The strange thing was how quickly it came on. The week prior I had felt like I may be coming down with a cold. The morning of our brewery tour I determined I must really be coming down with a cold because of the way I felt. Josh thinks it was accelerated from us walking around in the cold and then sitting down outside for dinner.

Being sick is miserable. The worst part of it was we had plans to meet up with friends at Disneyland Paris for Thanksgiving. Our plan had been to drive to Disneyland Paris on Wednesday before Thanksgiving after Josh got off work, spend Thanksgiving day hanging around Paris, go to Disneyland on Friday with our friends, then spend Saturday and Sunday around Paris. It was suppose to be a wonderfully fun weekend. Instead, I spent that weekend on the couch sleeping and watching movies. Josh went to the grocery store and got a few things and made himself pulled pork for Thanksgiving dinner. A let down from what we had planned.

Later in the weekend we met up with friends and went to two Christmas markets. The silver lining to cancelling our Paris trip was we went to one of our favorite local Christmas markets which we would have missed otherwise. But, I wasn't up for much excitement... I could only be outside for a limited amount of time, and the short time I was out and about wore me out. Not how I pictured my Thanksgiving weekend. At the time I was upset and felt that I had ruined Josh's birthday weekend, birthday, and Thanksgiving... but. Life happens. Things get in the way. What I need to focus on is the opportunity to return to Paris in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment