Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Heidelberg

We have continued to keep busy. Unfortunately the previous two weekend have been full of adult activities such as work and CPR certification. Meh. But, getting grown up things out of the way means other weekends are free to get back to important things like traveling.

We have done a lot of things in our time here. In doing "a lot" of travel, we have skipped over some of the most basic, standard of day trips. I have been trying to catch us up on the "basics" recently - such as our trip to Strasbourg. There tends to be three standard places in Germany which everyone goes to visit - even if you do nothing else in your time overseas, everyone seems to go to Koln, Trier, and Heidelberg. Josh and I went to Trier and Koln right away, but Heidelberg (being farther away for us), got put off for later. I saw pictures of Heidelberg when I first got to Germany and instantly wanted to go visit. It is something which has been on my list for a long time, but it always seems to get pushed aside. This past weekend we took a day trip to Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg is a river-side college town about two hours from our house.

Like a lot of our recent trips, I didn't have a set plan for Heidelberg. I mainly wanted to check the town out and see what everyone raved about. I wasn't disappointed. The weather was gorgeous - a warm, sunny spring day. Much of Heidelberg's Old Town is a pedestrian zone full of cobble stone streets lined with cafes and shops. There is a castle (in ruins) above the town. I didn't have any desire to go to the castle, but cobble stone streets, cute shops, and a castle... definitely quintessential Germany.




We ventured across the old stone bridge, which crosses the Neckar River. The nice weekend had brought out tourists in masses. I had to fight to get a clear walking path across the bridge.

Once you cross the bridge, you can continue up to the Philosophers Walk, which is a paved pathway on the opposite side of the river, facing the Old Town and Castle. This is where I wanted to go in Heidelberg, and get the views and pictures I kept seeing in books.




That sums up our trip. It was a wonderful, brief afternoon. We enjoyed an afternoon of walking. I can see why this is a destination for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment