Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kirsten Stationary

I am about to say something very judgmental.
I don't like the stick figured "family" stickers people put on their car windows. You know what I'm talking about. The little stick figures of "Mom" "Dad" and the 2.5 children and the family dog plastered on the back window of a minivan.
If you are a person who has this on your car, I'm sorry. I just find it annoying for many reasons. One, no one cares. Really. No gives a hoot that you have two boys and a dog. Two, you drive a minivan. Clearly you are not a person out living a wild single life. I don't think you need to broadcast that to all the other drivers on the road.

Once Josh teased me about my dislike and contempt of these stickers by telling me I was jealous because my "family" sticker would have only cats. In actuality, I would rock the cat stickers with pride. They do make cat stickers, for the record.

I have found in the past two years that I have been bombarded with the questions of if I have children, or when I am going to have children. My standard answer is I only have furry, four-legged cat children. Most people still press on with, "Oh yes, for now. But when will you have real children?" Who says cats aren't real? Asshole. And who said it was your business to know anything about my reproductive plans? (Once again, for the record, we are NOT at any point in the near future even considering the idea of having babies. Period).

I recently had a patient who asked about my child-bearing status, and when I responded with my standard "furry four-legged cat children" answer, the patient told me, "That is weird." I let a very long, awkward silence pass before I said, "Yes. Yes it is." I suppose I have finally gotten used to being asked repeatedly about having kids, although I'm still not sure if it happens because I'm married, my age, or because I'm surrounded by military families. I think my getting used to this has also strengthened my comfort in my "status" of being a cat "mom." That being said...

I recently went to a My ThirtyOne party (think Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Tupperwear, ect). Normally I shy away from these types of things as I don't necessarily like to be pressured into buying something, and I try to avoid buying things I don't need. But. A good friend of mine was hosting this party, and I thought it would be a way to meet more people. The party was fun, and the company (by the way) does sell some great stuff. One of the things I ordered was personalized stationary. There is all sorts of ways you can personalize it, and I found it funny to play on the family stick figure sticker situation. So. Hopefully someday soon you can get a letter on the Lehman Family stationary.


No comments:

Post a Comment