Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Planning Thanksgiving - Part One

What I should be doing right now is working on my comprehensive exam. I'm lucky in that my exam is a take home exam which I have two weeks to complete (now one week). However, this allows me to procrastinate, which is something I am skilled at. I also have a great thing to be distracted by: planning my parent's trip in November.

As usual, I offered my parents numerous options for what we could do when they were here. We suggested a cruise, or an Ireland/Scotland loop, or another loop through Germany. As usual, I also suggested my parents do some research to decide what they want to see/do. I was slightly surprised when they decided they wanted to see more of Germany. Not that there is anything wrong with this, I guess I was just surprised by it. I had thought the suggestion of the Guinness factory and a scotch tour would have swayed my dad in another direction, but I guess not.

The last time my parents were here, we did a loop through Germany which did many highlights, but was focused more on Bavaria. I thought this time we would look more towards northern Germany and Berlin. Josh and I went to Berlin once, and have said many times we need/want to go back. Based on that idea I started searching.

My parents arrive the day before Thanksgiving. Originally I was thinking we would have Thanksgiving at our house, and then taking off the next morning for our adventure. However, I found a killer hotel deal, but to have enough time in Berlin and still get the great price, we'd have to check-in on Thanksgiving. Everyone was okay with that idea, so I booked the hotel. But I felt like I needed to find something special to do for dinner to honor Thanksgiving. I wasn't sure if we should try to do a dinner show (I didn't realize Berlin had a LOT of dinner shows) or find a really nice restaurant. What I settled on was reservations at the Berlin TV Tower. At the top of the TV Tower there is a restaurant which offers 360 degree rotating views of Berlin. This reminds me of the Space Needle. Although it is kind of touristy, I think it will be fun. The pictures I have seen online are beautiful, and I think it will be a memorable Thanksgiving Dinner.

For our first full day in Berlin, I booked a walking tour. Although Josh and I tried to cram a bunch of things into the last trip we took to Berlin, I think this tour will help us all get an understanding of the layout of Berlin as well as information and history. I've left our Saturday open with no set plans. Berlin has 30+ Christmas markets, most of which will be open by the time we arrive. I'm sure we will have no problems finding things to fill our time. Sunday I have booked a tour for the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. I'm excited for this tour, and I believe having a tour guide will help provide more information.

On Monday we will check out of our hotel and move on. I'm not 100% sure where we will go just yet. I'm thinking the next stop will be Dresden - this is something that has been on my list. I have heard it is beautiful, and I hear the Christmas Markets and Christmas decorations are amazing


From there, I am not sure where we will go. This is the time where my parents have to voice their opinions on what they want. I've thrown out the option of going to Poland to go shopping for Polish Pottery (something I could see my mom enjoying).

Or, we are in closer proximity to go to Prague. Or... there are more stops in Germany we could explore. It all kind of depends on what I can find for hotel deals and what my parents decide they want to do/see. But I think it's shaping up to be a pretty good Thanksgiving holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment